Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Wish I Had Thought Of That!

Here's a story.  Of a lovely lady.  (Me)

OK, stop laughing.

ANYWAY, this happened to me last week.  As you may or may not know, I've been studying martial arts for the last 5 or so years.  Recently I came to the very difficult decision to take a sabbatical from tae kwon do in order to spend more time at the gym.  My knees have been really hurting lately and it would take a few days to recover from TKD class which would happen just in time for another TKD class.  In between I would be too sore to do any other exercise.  This did not amount to enough activity so I was getting steadily less...visibly fit...which only exacerbated the knee issues even more.  So, I decided to take a break and go to the gym at least 4 times a week (one day with a personal trainer, even).  I saw someone I knew from TKD last week and was asked why I'm not in class anymore.  I gave the quick knees-recovery-sabbatical explanation and was given the following advice:

"You should lose weight, then."

I'll give you a moment to process that.
...
...
...

I know, right?  Who says that?  Several responses flitted across my brain before I answered.  They were:

"Huh.  That never occurred to me!  Wow!  Thanks for the advice!  Before I go, will you help me tie my shoe?  I forgot how.  Also, please explain to me how to open this door.  Do I push the knob thingy?  Turn it?  Do speak a password into it?  Dang, things are so confusing!"

or

"You know you said that out loud, right?"

or

"Considering I almost certainly outweigh you and I have a black belt in tae kwon do, would you like to amend this conversation in any way?"

But I went with:

"Uh, yeah, that's the plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment